Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Neurological video game control finally a commercial reality.

Ever since my first game of BattleTech at the age of ten, I've been eagerly awaiting the day that I can control a robot with my brainwaves.

Looks like that day is today.

Now, don't get me wrong. This technology has existed in prototype form for a long time, squirreled away in laboratories while they try to make it work right.

Nope, today is the day that I discovered that it's been commercialized and targeted to the general public.



Sure, it's hard to learn to use. Sure, it will probably never work as good as a mouse and keyboard. Sure, it's $150 for a 'keyboard' with around 10 buttons.

I don't care. It's controlling a computer with my brainwaves. For me, it's as deep of a childhood dream as those other misfits who wanted to be an astronaut.

I'm currently trying to convince myself that it's worth $150. I'll let you know if I take the plunge.

No comments: