Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It is a good day to download.

Through a fortuitous alignment of planets, two bits of download worthy content are scheduled for release today:

- Firefox 3:

This new release of Firefox is reviewed to be bigger, faster, stronger, and awesome-er than the last. I thought the last was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

As a side note, an internal utility webpage that I use at work conflicts with Firefox 2, but not Firefox 3. That means that I have to keep an I.E. window open to interact with it...no fun. Until today at 10am Pacific Daylight Time! Yay!

Also, they are trying to create a new Guinness Book of World Records entry for 'Most Software Downloads in a 24 Hour Period'. Go download it right now!

- Spore Creature Creator Demo:

Who knows if Spore (due out in September) will be any good or not, but the Creature Creator Demo is free, and looks pretty interesting. For the uninitiated, one of Spore's more intriguing features is that you build creatures lego-style, and it is then animated on the fly; the engine looks at what your critter has available to it, and makes a 'best guess' on how to animate it. Supposedly the creature creator will show that off.

My one complaint? They have a 'light' demo for free, and a 'thick' demo for $10. Maybe I'm just cheap, but unless I can later get a $10 credit toward the full game, I feel ripped off to pay $10 for a preview of what I'll later get for $50.

Here's a video tutorial of the editor:

No comments: