Tuesday, October 16, 2007

AOL cuts 2000 employees

AOL announced that it would cut 2000 additional jobs yesterday. I can't say that I'm sad to see AOL go, because of all the war stories that I hear (and once experienced) about the insane hassle they make it to actually cancel their service ("When I say cancel the account, I don't mean help me figure out how to keep the account"). Someone on slashdot presented this scenario:

AOL's trained its employees too well.

Boss: You're fired!

Employee: Sorry, AOL employees only accept termination notices between the hours of 1:13am and 1:16am, Ugandan time. Please call back at this deliberately inconvenient time. Until then, we will continue to bill you for our services.

Boss [several hours later]: OK, now you're fired!

Employee: Sorry, please hold.

Boss [several hours later]: Look, you're freaking fired!

Employee: OK, I'm going to sign you up for one more month of free employment.

Boss: I don't want a month's free employment, you're freaking fired, you stupid cretins!

Employee: I'm sorry, we accidentally disconnected that call. Please begin the process again.

Management may want to fire them. If the employees have learned anything from their time working there, it'll be next to impossible to make them actually leave.

3 comments:

Exaurdon said...

First Post!!!!

Tristion said...

While I feel bad for the employees of AOL who probably pretty much *all* feel like they could lose their job at any time, I find myself wondering why they haven't left yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it better to leave and find other employment than be fired?

Maybe the severance is very good.

Exaurdon said...

Well, being 'laid off' isn't really the same thing as getting fired. Now, its probably still better for your employment history to quit, but being laid-off isn't going to have a significant impact on finding another job, and definitely not the impact of being fired.